At Wessex Water, we are committed to providing a safe and secure environment for everyone to work in. To help assist us with this, we have a requirement for a Gatehouse Operative to join our team and provide security assistance for our operations in Avonmouth.
You will work four days a week from 6am to 6.30pm or 6.30am to 7pm, including most bank holidays and approximately two weekends per month, totalling 48 hours per week.
What you'll do
As a Gatehouse Operative, you will be responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for our colleagues who are based at our Water Recycling Centre in Bristol, Avonmouth.
Your role will involve operating our barrier system when visitors arrive onsite. Your duties will include meeting those visitors and performing the necessary ID checks to ensure no unauthorised visitors or vehicles come onto the site.
Additionally, you will be responsible for conducting site inductions and familiarisation to facilitate site security and safety.
Your duties will also include:
- traffic management by directing drivers around the site
- taking delivery of goods and parcels and managing the distribution
- reporting incidents by keeping a record of surveillance activities, observations and occurrences on our existing management systems
- performing onsite safety and security inductions for site visitors and managing associated sign-in systems and record keeping
- continuously looking to further develop security and safety policies and procedures
- preventing losses and damage by reporting irregularities and informing contractors of policy and procedures
- working closely with site staff to create a safe and secure working environment.
What you'll need
- First and foremost, you'll be a confident and effective communicator as you will be talking to a range of stakeholders, varying in seniority, as well as visitors and contractors.
- You must also be proficient in the use of a variety of IT systems along with having a good understanding of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Previous experience working in a role where you have followed health and safety procedures is essential.
- For this role, it is desirable for the individual to work well as part of a team and be able to work in a reactive operational environment.
- Self-sufficiency and self-motivation are also key, as is being organised and willing to learn.
What you'll receive
- Total pension contributions up to 20%.
- Career progression and professional development opportunities.
- 25 days' holiday rising to 28 with length of service.
- The opportunity to buy up to ten days' holiday and sell up to five every year.
- A healthcare package that allows you to claim back healthcare costs.
- Life assurance of up to eight times your salary.
- A new electric car in exchange for part of your gross salary.
- Cashback and discounts from more than 3,000 retailers.
- One paid volunteering day each year.
- Enhanced family leave and pay arrangements.
- An interactive health and wellbeing platform.
- Support from mental health first aiders.
- A £1,000 referral fee if you recommend someone to work for us.
Who we are
We are one of the top-performing water and sewerage companies in England and Wales, serving 2.9 million people across the South West.
The work we do goes beyond providing an essential public service. We also aim to have a positive impact on the communities we serve and the natural environment.
Our people tell us Wessex Water is a great place to work, which is why so many of them stay with us! You will have the opportunity to develop and progress your career, while also receiving health and wellbeing support.